This is a fabulous ReadWriteThink lesson plan: Solving word meanings.
- Develop student inferential comprehension skills
- Expand word knowledge
- Use semantic gradients and context knowledge
- Introduce context clues
Context – authors will ‘leak’ clues
To establish the meaning of vixen – what are the clues that the author is leaking?
The vixen was not as fortunate.
The vixen was not as fortunate as her mate.
The vixen was not as fortunate as her mate who was caught in a steel jawed trap. Her red pelt would bring a good price.
(clue: animal trap, red pelt – must be an animal with red fur, female animal)
- Look before, at and after the new word
- Reason – use as many clues as you can
- Resolve or recognise that you need other strategies eg look it up, ask a table mate
- Re-do – go through the steps again.
Model LPR3 example:
Billy’s reply was incoherent.
Due to a lack of sleep and severe nervousness Billy’s reply was incoherent.
What clues are provided?
Worksheets – these are great!